Friday, August 20, 2004

Sanskrit!

I came across these quotes on sanskrit, all from foreigners! I can't
stop wondering how many of us know this great language?

"India was the mother of our race and Sanskrit the mother of
Europe's languages."
Will Durant

"I am very sorry, but I cannot learn languages. I have tried hard, only
to find that men of ordinary capacity can learn Sanskrit in less time
that it takes me to buy a German Dictionary"
George Barnard Shaw

"The Sanskrit language, whatever be its antiquity, is of a
wonderful structure; more perfect than the Greek, more copious than the
Latin and more exquisitely refined than either."
Sir William Jones

"It was perfectly clear to me that I had come upon a perfect
language, a language that invokes the spirit, an inexhaustible
wellspring of spiritual inspiration. The ancients called it devavani,
the language of gods. Where did it come from? - A language infinitely
more sophisticated than any of our modern tongues."
Vyaas Houston(American Sanskrit Institute)


No comments:

About Me

My photo
Love to blog. Every time I turn joyous or in extreme pain, I blog. Huge believer of 'charity begins at home'.